Listen to it like a podcast!
If I were (and I have been) a tourism operator, here is what I’d have on my wishlist;
- Make it easy to understand what’s involved, the benefits, and the costs. Gold Coast do this well.
- Do this every year, even if I am a member. Assume you have to fight for my membership even if I’m committed already and you know it.
- The Region’s Brand
- Help me understand the key archetypes of our visitors. But use language I understand – e.g. Visitor Profiles.
- Help me understand the region’s brand pillars. Here’s a great example from Daylesford Macedon Ranges that makes it really easy to understand.
- Also, help me understand what to do with that information.
- Can I please have access to images? If you want me to use them (and look good) please don’t make it too difficult to access or understand the licensing either. Here’s a great example from Bundaberg Tourism.
- Current and past. Results too.
- Convince me why I should be involved in the next, and who else I should expect to be involved too.
- You keep promoting the big guys – why can I get that sort of exposure? (aka. help me understand dispersal and how I can get in on the action)
- Give me online and offline training and networking opportunities.
- How can you help me expand my presence – ATDW, state sites, 3rd parties, and campaigns.
- Help me understand the domestic and international visitor, and how to prepare my business for the right one for me.
- Understand where I’m at in my journey – this should change how you choose to lead my business. Am I new business, do I have a 10 hours a month to market myself, or 40, or does someone do it for me?
- Please help me make my tourism business better.
- There are lots of acronyms – help me understand the layers of tourism and how they are relevant to my business.
- How do I get my brochures into VICs? What should they look like? Include? Where is the best place to print them?
- How can I get the most out of my membership?
- How can I contribute to the region being better as a whole?
- Lead me to new opportunities with like-minded operators.
- How can we share resources?
- How can you help me create packages for visitors?
- From industry veterans. Who is the best in the business and what can I learn from them?
- From other regions and destinations. What should I be looking at and how can I research other destinations?
- Remind me of the value you are adding to my business, and show me in data.
- Keep me posted on relevant grants.
- Show me where I can follow what you are doing. Social. Email. Anywhere else?
'An Absolute Must-Do'; the Book.
A concise framework to build a tourism business that people love, pay more for, and rave about.